One of the main causes of weight gain is snacking. Many people snack unhealthy without even realising it. It generally occurs among people who enjoy a sedentary lifestyle or who are experiencing high levels of stress and anxiety. Unleashing the snack monster is unhealthy because you quickly consume a ridiculous amount of carbs, but don’t really think about it because you do it mindlessly. It becomes a habit.
The best option to kerb the snack monster is to either stop snacking or snack healthier. The first option is more difficult, but it gives better results. You should eat a breakfast, then fruit between breakfast and lunch, then lunch, then fruit between lunch and dinner, and then dinner. And don’t keep unhealthy snacks in the house!
If you really do feel like you have to snack throughout the day, there are some great healthy alternatives. One great option is grapes. Grapes take longer to snack on – like a giant bag of crisps – except they have much fewer carbs, and are only average 62 calories a serving. Most fruits and vegetables are good options for snacks. This could include celery, apples, carrots, bananas – and drink lots of water. Add ice plus some mint leaves, or a slice of lemon or strawberry to flavour your water.
- Drinks lots of water. Add flavours for variety.
- Try and be more active. Every calorie burnt helps!
- Don’t bulk buy unhealthy snacks. Buy more fruit and veg.
- Don’t keep snacks in the house.
- Make healthy snack pots to feed the monster.
- Eat 3 meals a day. Not 400. Plan ahead.
- Don’t eat the kid’s leftovers, then eat your own meal. Use the freezer.
- Try not to eat late at night.
- Make everyday count. Be productive.
- Have treats once or twice a week. Make them count. You will enjoy them more.
There are no easy ways to cope with stress and anxiety. My suggestion is take one day at a time and don’t be hard on yourself. You are not a machine. Everyone goes through it at some point. And we all deal with it in our own way. Me, I comfort ate and gained 4 stone!
If you need a little support, make an appointment with your doctor and explain how you feel, speak to a friend and use this website. For me, communication and understanding are underrated factors in adopting a healthier less stressful life. I was going to finish this off with something really corny, but I won’t, as I think you get the point. Make yourself your project or join me @ #ProjectFit.